Assyrian Forums
 Home  |  Ads  |  Partners  |  Sponsors  |  Contact  |  FAQs  |  About  

Holocaust  |  History  |  Library  |  People  |  TV-Radio  |  Forums  |  Community  |  Directory

General  |  Activism  |  Arts  |  Education  |  Family  |  Financial  |  Government  |  Health  |  History  |  News  |  Religion  |  Science  |  Sports
   Greetings · Shläma · Bärev Dzez · Säludos · Grüße · Shälom · Χαιρετισμοί · Приветствия · 问候 · Bonjour · 挨拶 · تبریکات  · Selamlar · अभिवादन · Groete · التّحيّات

An Assyrian Exodus (English and Aramaic video)

Previous Topic Next Topic
Home Forums Government Topic #125
Help Print Share

AIMadmin

Send email to AIMSend private message to AIMView profile of AIMAdd AIM to your contact list

Member: Dec-10-1996

An Assyrian Exodus (English and Aramaic video)

Apr-10-2012 at 11:26 AM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

An Assyrian Exodus (5 minute video in English and Aramaic: eastern and western Syriac)
An Assyrian Exodus

The untold Assyrian Genocide of 1914-1918 was a systematic ethnic cleansing of the Assyrian people perpetrated by the Ottoman Turks, Kurds and Persians. Two-thirds of the Assyrian nation totaling 750,000 souls perished in the Ottoman Empire and Northwestern Iran as a result of genocide, starvation, dehydration, disease and exposure to elements while thousands fell victim to kidnappings, forced assimilation, deportation and migration.

The Assyrian Genocide is a missing chapter of world history. For the Assyrian people, it is very difficult to fathom how the genocide of a nation, can so easily be dismissed and intentionally ignored by the international community. To date, the Assyrian Genocide has not been publicly acknowledged.

Rosie Malek-Yonan's AN ASSYRIAN EXODUS is a short video project that has brought Rosie Malek-Yonan (author of The Crimson Field), David Yonan, Ninos Aho and Emil Brikha, four accomplished Assyrian artists from around the world in a common belief, that while the world may not acknowledge the Assyrian Genocide, however, through the arts, the history of the Assyrian nation will be preserved.

This project is dedicated to the memory of the victims of the Assyrian Genocide and those forced to walk the "Death Marches." The survivors who safely made the unthinkable journey to distant shores around the globe, were able to secure the identity of future generations of Assyrians now living in diaspora.

The text of this video project is derived from the overture of the original full-length piece by the same title, written and performed by Rosie Malek-Yonan, which was previewed in Hartford, CT in August 2008. The stories of An Assyrian Exodus are based on Malek-Yonan’s personal family journals and war diaries written during the final exodus of the Assyrians fleeing from Urmia, Iran in 1918.

Presented in English, Eastern Assyrian and Western Assyrian languages, An Assyrian Exodus video project is a Rosie Malek-Yonan and Emil Brikha Production recorded in Los Angeles, Chicago, Sweden and Malta in 2008.

Visit the Official Fan Page of the project on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/AnAssyrianExodus

Alert   IP Print   Edit        Reply      Re-Quote Top

Forums Topics  Previous Topic Next Topic

AIMadmin

Send email to AIMSend private message to AIMView profile of AIMAdd AIM to your contact list

1. An Assyrian Exodus (English version)

Apr-10-2012 at 11:32 AM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #0

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9qgHLGdwB8

AN ASSYRIAN EXODUS, English Version
Rosie Malek-Yonan (written, produced & narration), Emil Brikha (music producer), David Yonan (music & violin) and Ninos Aho (additional Assyrian voice).

AN ASSYRIAN EXODUS TEXT

I stand for a thousand voices. I stand for the voices of the past. I stand for the voice of my Assyria. I stand for those who speak to me in my dreams, consuming my mind. They nudge me out of sleep to tell me their stories. Their images haunt me. I lay awake to hear their tales:

“You didn’t walk the Death Marches, but your soul was here among us. You will carry the memories of our nation with you when you are born in the future. You will have the memories of the ragged people we became. You will know our pain. You will see our eyes. They stifled our cries but you will hear us. Be our voice. Tell our tale.

We carried very little on our backs and so heavy a load in our hearts. Fear and panic crippled us. Sleep was snatched from our eyes. Comfort gave way to blistered feet and thirsty mouths.

Mothers with swollen bellies carrying hope of the future, sang lullabies to stone babies discarded on the roadside.

We witnessed our Assyrian nation being torn down soul by soul. But we pushed on days into nights. We prayed nights into daybreak hoping to survive the carnage.

We didn’t know it then, but we, living a threadbare existence, were planting the seeds of the future children of Assyria even as we dragged our tired limbs across the desert towards the unknown.

The Death Marches into the wilderness became a journey to safeguard the future of the Assyrian nation. You are the future of Assyria.

Strike a match to light the night out of its darkness. Don’t forget us. La menshiyat.”

I strike a match to light the night out of its darkness. Le menshiyan. I will not forget.

AIMadmin

2. An Assyrian Exodus (Aramaic: eastern Syriac video)

Apr-10-2012 at 11:37 AM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #0

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krNpEZQ21xs

AIMadmin

3. An Assyrian Exodus (Aramaic: western Syriac video)

Apr-10-2012 at 11:39 AM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #0

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E858XrgOV4

AIMadmin

4. An Assyrian Exodus (English and Aramaic video)

Apr-15-2012 at 03:36 AM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #0

An Assyrian Exodus (film)
http://www.atour.com/news/assyria/20120414a.html

An Assyrian Exodus (film) (AAHGN)
http://www.atour.com/~aahgn/news/20120414a.html

Forums Topics  Previous Topic Next Topic

Assyria \ã-'sir-é-ä\ n (1998)   1:  an ancient empire of Ashur   2:  a democratic state in Bet-Nahren, Assyria (northern Iraq, northwestern Iran, southeastern Turkey and eastern Syria.)   3:  a democratic state that fosters the social and political rights to all of its inhabitants irrespective of their religion, race, or gender   4:  a democratic state that believes in the freedom of religion, conscience, language, education and culture in faithfulness to the principles of the United Nations Charter — Atour synonym

Ethnicity, Religion, Language
» Israeli, Jewish, Hebrew
» Assyrian, Christian, Aramaic
» Saudi Arabian, Muslim, Arabic
Assyrian \ã-'sir-é-an\ adj or n (1998)   1:  descendants of the ancient empire of Ashur   2:  the Assyrians, although representing but one single nation as the direct heirs of the ancient Assyrian Empire, are now doctrinally divided, inter sese, into five principle ecclesiastically designated religious sects with their corresponding hierarchies and distinct church governments, namely, Church of the East, Chaldean, Maronite, Syriac Orthodox and Syriac Catholic.  These formal divisions had their origin in the 5th century of the Christian Era.  No one can coherently understand the Assyrians as a whole until he can distinguish that which is religion or church from that which is nation -- a matter which is particularly difficult for the people from the western world to understand; for in the East, by force of circumstances beyond their control, religion has been made, from time immemorial, virtually into a criterion of nationality.   3:  the Assyrians have been referred to as Aramaean, Aramaye, Ashuraya, Ashureen, Ashuri, Ashuroyo, Assyrio-Chaldean, Aturaya, Chaldean, Chaldo, ChaldoAssyrian, ChaldoAssyrio, Jacobite, Kaldany, Kaldu, Kasdu, Malabar, Maronite, Maronaya, Nestorian, Nestornaye, Oromoye, Suraya, Syriac, Syrian, Syriani, Suryoye, Suryoyo and Telkeffee. — Assyrianism verb

Aramaic \ar-é-'máik\ n (1998)   1:  a Semitic language which became the lingua franca of the Middle East during the ancient Assyrian empire.   2:  has been referred to as Neo-Aramaic, Neo-Syriac, Classical Syriac, Syriac, Suryoyo, Swadaya and Turoyo.

Please consider the environment when disposing of this material — read, reuse, recycle. ♻
AIM | Atour: The State of Assyria | Terms of Service