Assyrian Forums
 Home  |  Ads  |  Partners  |  Sponsors  |  Contact  |  FAQs  |  About  

Holocaust  |  History  |  Library  |  People  |  TV-Radio  |  Forums  |  Community  |  Directory

General  |  Activism  |  Arts  |  Education  |  Family  |  Financial  |  Government  |  Health  |  History  |  News  |  Religion  |  Science  |  Sports
   Greetings · Shläma · Bärev Dzez · Säludos · Grüße · Shälom · Χαιρετισμοί · Приветствия · 问候 · Bonjour · 挨拶 · تبریکات  · Selamlar · अभिवादन · Groete · التّحيّات

Section 3c of Grammar complete.

Archived: Read only    Previous Topic Next Topic
Home Forums Peshitta Topic #111
Help Print Share

Paul Younanmoderator

Send email to Paul YounanSend private message to Paul YounanView profile of Paul YounanAdd Paul Younan to your contact list

Member: Jun-1-2000
Member Feedback

Section 3c of Grammar complete.

Oct-25-2000 at 09:27 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

Shlama all,

Section 3c of the Grammar (Possessive Pronouns) is now complete.

This is by far the most intensive section, please let me know if something does not make sense.

Fkrwbw 0ml4
Paul

Print Top

Forums Topics  Previous Topic Next Topic
Andrew Gabriel Roth

Send email to Andrew Gabriel RothSend private message to Andrew Gabriel RothView profile of Andrew Gabriel RothAdd Andrew Gabriel Roth to your contact list

Member: Sep-6-2000
Member Feedback

1. Slotha d'Maran and Grammar

Oct-26-2000 at 07:51 AM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #0

Dear Akhi Paul:

Yes, I have a bit of a question. This pronoun stuff is terrific and a lot of things are making more sense, but I noticed something from my familiarity with the Slotha d'Maran (Lords Prayer)that I need a clarification on.

We see throughout the address that Maran Eshoo is addressing the Father in the second masculine person. Such as TEY TEY MALKUTHAKH (Your kingdom comes). That is clear also with other statements (NEY WEY TSEVYANAKH, etc). However, in the closing strophe Maran Eshoo says, "Mit-til d'd lakh he MALKUTHA" (Yours is the kingdom), not MALKUTH-AKH, which would seem the way to go.

Did I miss something here?

Shlama w'burkate
Andrew Gabriel Roth

PS- What do you mean by "most intensive"? Is it the most intensive of them all or just the most intensive so far?

Print Top

Paul Younanmoderator

Send email to Paul YounanSend private message to Paul YounanView profile of Paul YounanAdd Paul Younan to your contact list

Member Feedback

2. RE: Slotha d'Maran and Grammar

Oct-26-2000 at 10:33 AM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #1

Shlama Akhi Andrew,

Excellent question.

In Aramaic, the word Klyd (Deel-akh) means 'it is yours' or 'thine' or more precisely "it belongs to you".

There is a strong correlation between Klyd and the '-akh' possessive suffix.

In fact, it is proper to say both:

Klyd Fwklm (Malkutha Deelakh) "Your Kingdom"

or

<twklm (Malkuthakh) "Your Kingdom"

Just two different ways of saying the same thing.

The first example, though, using Klyd is a bit more sophisticated in the Aramaic prose. This word has the effect of giving emphasis to that fact that the Kingdom belongs to HIM.

The Klyd will be covered, by the way, in an upcoming section of the Grammar (along with other prepositions).

Fk^rwbw 0ml4
Paul

>Dear Akhi Paul:
>
>Yes, I have a bit of
>a question. This pronoun
>stuff is terrific and a
>lot of things are making
>more sense, but I noticed
>something from my familiarity with
>the Slotha d'Maran (Lords Prayer)that
>I need a clarification on.
>
>
>We see throughout the address that
>Maran Eshoo is addressing the
>Father in the second masculine
>person. Such as TEY
>TEY MALKUTHAKH (Your kingdom comes).
> That is clear also
>with other statements (NEY WEY
>TSEVYANAKH, etc). However, in the
>closing strophe Maran Eshoo says,
>"Mit-til d'd lakh he MALKUTHA"
>(Yours is the kingdom), not
>MALKUTH-AKH, which would seem the
>way to go.
>
>Did I miss something here?
>
>Shlama w'burkate
>Andrew Gabriel Roth
>
>PS- What do you mean
>by "most intensive"? Is
>it the most intensive of
>them all or just the
>most intensive so far?

Print Top
Dean Dana

Send email to Dean DanaSend private message to Dean DanaAdd Dean Dana to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

3. RE: Slotha d'Maran and Grammar

Oct-26-2000 at 01:45 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #1

Akhi Andrew,

I think it may be because it reads "Yours is THE kingdom" rather than "Yours is Your Kingdom" If it read "Your Kingdom" Then it should read "Malkutakh" as it does in the begining verse.

One Request from Akhi Paul:

The Grammar sections are truly a blessing (I wonder how you find time to do all this ... you must be up all night

I am utilizing the PDF files for printing but it would be great if the printable texts were in black since my laser printer is interpreting color as gray. But then again, color is good for those wishing to print using a color ink jet.

Thanks,

Dean

Print Top

Paul Younanmoderator

Member Feedback

5. RE: Slotha d'Maran and Grammar

Oct-26-2000 at 03:02 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #3

Shlama Akhi Dean,

I, too, just tried it on my laser printer and indeed the greyscale is ugly.

Let me see what can be done about this. Perhaps we can have 2 printable versions...one in color and the other B&W.

Fk^rwbw 0ml4
Paul

>Akhi Andrew,
>
>I think it may be because
>it reads "Yours is THE
>kingdom" rather than "Yours is
>Your Kingdom" If it
>read "Your Kingdom" Then
>it should read "Malkutakh" as
>it does in the begining
>verse.
>
>One Request from Akhi Paul:
>
>The Grammar sections are truly a
>blessing (I wonder how you
>find time to do all
>this ... you must be
>up all night
>
>I am utilizing the PDF files
>for printing but it would
>be great if the printable
>texts were in black since
>my laser printer is interpreting
>color as gray. But
>then again, color is good
>for those wishing to print
>using a color ink jet.
>
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dean

Print Top

Paul Younanmoderator

Member Feedback

4. RE: Slotha d'Maran and Grammar

Oct-26-2000 at 02:03 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #1

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-00 AT 02:26 PM (CST)

Shlama Akhi,

I forgot to answer your last question.

This is the most intensive one so far......but, I feel that in all of the Semitic languages, the various inflections on the verb are the most complex subject matter.

Those are upcoming, but I will have to work on them for a long time!

Also, I did not include an "irregularities" statement in this last section.....as the rules are not always predictable in possession. I will try to think of some exceptions and revise this last section.

Fk^rwbw 0ml4
Paul

>Dear Akhi Paul:
>
>Yes, I have a bit of
>a question. This pronoun
>stuff is terrific and a
>lot of things are making
>more sense, but I noticed
>something from my familiarity with
>the Slotha d'Maran (Lords Prayer)that
>I need a clarification on.
>
>
>We see throughout the address that
>Maran Eshoo is addressing the
>Father in the second masculine
>person. Such as TEY
>TEY MALKUTHAKH (Your kingdom comes).
> That is clear also
>with other statements (NEY WEY
>TSEVYANAKH, etc). However, in the
>closing strophe Maran Eshoo says,
>"Mit-til d'd lakh he MALKUTHA"
>(Yours is the kingdom), not
>MALKUTH-AKH, which would seem the
>way to go.
>
>Did I miss something here?
>
>Shlama w'burkate
>Andrew Gabriel Roth
>
>PS- What do you mean
>by "most intensive"? Is
>it the most intensive of
>them all or just the
>most intensive so far?

Print Top

Forums Topics  Previous Topic Next Topic

Assyria \ã-'sir-é-ä\ n (1998)   1:  an ancient empire of Ashur   2:  a democratic state in Bet-Nahren, Assyria (northern Iraq, northwestern Iran, southeastern Turkey and eastern Syria.)   3:  a democratic state that fosters the social and political rights to all of its inhabitants irrespective of their religion, race, or gender   4:  a democratic state that believes in the freedom of religion, conscience, language, education and culture in faithfulness to the principles of the United Nations Charter — Atour synonym

Ethnicity, Religion, Language
» Israeli, Jewish, Hebrew
» Assyrian, Christian, Aramaic
» Saudi Arabian, Muslim, Arabic
Assyrian \ã-'sir-é-an\ adj or n (1998)   1:  descendants of the ancient empire of Ashur   2:  the Assyrians, although representing but one single nation as the direct heirs of the ancient Assyrian Empire, are now doctrinally divided, inter sese, into five principle ecclesiastically designated religious sects with their corresponding hierarchies and distinct church governments, namely, Church of the East, Chaldean, Maronite, Syriac Orthodox and Syriac Catholic.  These formal divisions had their origin in the 5th century of the Christian Era.  No one can coherently understand the Assyrians as a whole until he can distinguish that which is religion or church from that which is nation -- a matter which is particularly difficult for the people from the western world to understand; for in the East, by force of circumstances beyond their control, religion has been made, from time immemorial, virtually into a criterion of nationality.   3:  the Assyrians have been referred to as Aramaean, Aramaye, Ashuraya, Ashureen, Ashuri, Ashuroyo, Assyrio-Chaldean, Aturaya, Chaldean, Chaldo, ChaldoAssyrian, ChaldoAssyrio, Jacobite, Kaldany, Kaldu, Kasdu, Malabar, Maronite, Maronaya, Nestorian, Nestornaye, Oromoye, Suraya, Syriac, Syrian, Syriani, Suryoye, Suryoyo and Telkeffee. — Assyrianism verb

Aramaic \ar-é-'máik\ n (1998)   1:  a Semitic language which became the lingua franca of the Middle East during the ancient Assyrian empire.   2:  has been referred to as Neo-Aramaic, Neo-Syriac, Classical Syriac, Syriac, Suryoyo, Swadaya and Turoyo.

Please consider the environment when disposing of this material — read, reuse, recycle. ♻
AIM | Atour: The State of Assyria | Terms of Service