Assyrian Forums
 Home  |  Ads  |  Partners  |  Sponsors  |  Contact  |  FAQs  |  About  

Holocaust  |  History  |  Library  |  People  |  TV-Radio  |  Forums  |  Community  |  Directory

General  |  Activism  |  Arts  |  Education  |  Family  |  Financial  |  Government  |  Health  |  History  |  News  |  Religion  |  Science  |  Sports
   Greetings · Shläma · Bärev Dzez · Säludos · Grüße · Shälom · Χαιρετισμοί · Приветствия · 问候 · Bonjour · 挨拶 · تبریکات  · Selamlar · अभिवादन · Groete · التّحيّات

Archived: Read only    Previous Topic Next Topic
Home Forums Peshitta Topic #120
Help Print Share

Send email to Send private message to Add  to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

What do %0D%0A%3Eyou suggest%2C Akhi Paul%3F %0D%0A%3E%0D%0A%3EOur blessed Assyrian brothers and sisters%2C %0D%0A%3Emothers and fathers can simply %0D%0A%3Econtinue to speak and teach %0D%0A%3Ethis sacred language to future %0D%0A%3Egenerations. Much like the Armenians %0D%0A%3Edo and have done for %0D%0A%3Emillennia. %0D%0A%3E%0D%0A%3EThanks%2C %0D%0A%3E%0D%0A%3EDean Dana %0D%0A%0D%0A%0D%0A.

Dec-- at 00: AM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #

Print Top

Forums Topics  Previous Topic Next Topic
Dean Dana

Send email to Dean DanaSend private message to Dean DanaAdd Dean Dana to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

1. RE: The Battle to Save Aramaic.

Nov-01-2000 at 01:44 AM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #0

What can we do?

What can I, as a non-Aramaic speaking Jew, who's interested in the language of Christ, the language of Abraham, do to contribute to the preservation of this most important language?

I can barely read it! I have a limited vocabulary and a limited knowledge of the grammar! Can I ever expect to gain a command of the language? Or learn to speak it conversationally?

The key (I think for me and those like me) would be gain a working knowledge of the language and pass it down to my children. If I can do this, than maybe ... just maybe I can help. What do you suggest, Akhi Paul?

Our blessed Assyrian brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers can simply continue to speak and teach this sacred language to future generations. Much like the Armenians do and have done for millennia.

Thanks,

Dean Dana

Print Top

Paul Younanmoderator

Send email to Paul YounanSend private message to Paul YounanView profile of Paul YounanAdd Paul Younan to your contact list

Member: Jun-1-2000
Member Feedback

3. Just imagine.......

Nov-01-2000 at 04:35 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #1

Shlama Akhi Dean,

First off, you already have done MUCH. Every time I received a request from you, like in the past when you had asked for the Estrangela font, so you could make flash-cards for your children......my heart rejoiced. Look...how much you are interested in the Grammar section....how many Targum passages you have scanned in. Everytime I see you write "Shlama Kulkhon", I smile!

Just look at the rest of the people on this forum. We have American Catholics, American Protestants, British Anglicans, Italians, Arabs, Ashkenazi, Sephardi (like yourself), Ashuri, Chaldean......you name it.

Why not? This is everyone's heritage. This is the language that all of our forefathers spoke, but it also belongs to the world, because our Saviour blessed it.

Can you imagine the possibilities if this language is to be revived in the Middle East? To take it's former place as the lingua-franca of all our peoples?

Maybe then, just maybe, we would understand each other for what we really are - brothers and sisters. It's easy to hate and kill when the other side is different, but what if we weren't all that different? What if we concentrated, not on the differences, but in what unites us all. Aramaic is one of those things.

This humble website is a start, perhaps, of a future where we can truly revive this ancient and blessed tongue. Look for more things in the future, as time will allow, to become a reality on this site - like perhaps even real-time interactive conversational classes broadcast over this web, with a "virtual" classroom where we all see and speak to each other.

Others are working on this as well. Just look at our brethren at www.aramaic.org - they love the language not because their forefathers spoke it, but because Maran Eshoo did. Because the very same English alphabet I am writing in now had Aramaic as it's ancestor. Because this a treasure that belongs to the world.

Little by little, we will do things here that the next generation (whether Assyrian, Sephardi Jews in Iraq, or French) will build upon.

Look, even this site generates 65,000 hits per month. All people from all backgrounds.

This is what will ensure that Aramaic does not become like Latin in dusty books in the library or only manuscripts in the museums.

Look at your own involvement, and that of our other participants here:

We have Akhi Andrew Gabriel Roth - scholar par excellence. Always on the forefront of defending the Semitic culture. Our Keepa.

And then there's Akhi Shmuel.....ay, the noble Levite! Who would have thought? If he is now convinced of the Aramaic primacy of the NT - who will stand? :7

They are the modern Bnai-Ragshee, the both of them.

Then we have our beloved brother from Lebanon, Akhi Salam Wakim Rassim. Just read his comments on the Guestbook. An Arab from Lebanon who knows his heritage is in Aramaic, and wants to reclaim his own.

My beloved Chaldean brother Jeff Atto is reading this as well. So is my dear Syriac Orthodox brother Matay. Brother Massimo from Italy. Sister Patricia from California.

All peoples, all cultures....even all religions and sects, need to reclaim this language as a piece of their own history, of world history.

This is not, and cannot continue to be thought of, as a language of only the Assyrians and Jews in Iraq....nor only the language of the Semites. It will not survive this way.

Anyway.....I'll get off my soap-box for now.

What can we all do?

(1) Continue to build awareness t

Print Top
Andrew Gabriel Roth

Send email to Andrew Gabriel RothSend private message to Andrew Gabriel RothView profile of Andrew Gabriel RothAdd Andrew Gabriel Roth to your contact list

Member: Sep-6-2000
Member Feedback

4. RE: Just imagine.......

Nov-02-2000 at 09:01 AM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #3

Akhi Paul:

That was a very powerful out pouring of Rukha d'qadoosha you just had. It is a message the world needs to hear so desperately that they have no idea of how hungry they are until they are filled.

Most times I hesitate to speak for anyone other than myself, but I think it is safe to say that each of us are honored by your kindness and passion and it is wonderful to have this dialogue. I could say more, but I too want to keep your ego where it is. On the other hand, I have never given praise unless it was deserved...ask my nazarenes or some of the older ABS people if I "rubberstamp"...I don't think they will say I do.

I truly share this global vision of Aramaic united under either the love or respect at least of the Messiah. Aramaic is the language of peace I believe and the vessel (along with Hebrew) that God has preserved His Word and His name...as well as that of His Son.

As for myself, I have found that when I end the evening reading the Peshitta NT that a sense of peace comes over me. It is very gentle and kind. While I tend to "poke around" fairly randomly, I always end with reading John 3:16, and cannot tell you what a treat it is to read and hear those words as they were originally uttered. I may be a bit biased, but I also think it very much the case that there must be thousands--if not millions-- of Gentile Christians who would not help but be moved by this as well.

Also, it is my prayer that all sons of Ishmael will come to see their Aramaic heritage as some others have already awakened to. In the end, Aramaic is the only thing that can unite everyone. It is a common language between Jews and the ACOE, a bridge from us Semites to the Gentiles because Meshikha spoke it, and the original language of Arabs, with the original Koran in Girshoni. From there, it is also the mother tongue of many languages in Africa (Amharic, Gecez, etc) and, even in Asia, the ACOE has had such a long and proud history there as to make it an important (although much smaller now) part of their history. And, as Akhi Paul has said, a lot of ancient Aramaic Christians are from India!

Taking all these facts together, my dream is that, wherever Maran Eshoo is venerated or just discussed, that the language he spoke and taught in continues to be a vibrant part of that culture.

John Lennon was wrong when he said, "Imagine there's no heaven". He should have said, "Imagine heaven on earth", and it can come when all unite and bow before the Lord in his native language.

Shlama w'burkate
Andrew Gabriel Roth

Print Top
Andrew Gabriel Roth

Send email to Andrew Gabriel RothSend private message to Andrew Gabriel RothView profile of Andrew Gabriel RothAdd Andrew Gabriel Roth to your contact list

Member: Sep-6-2000
Member Feedback

2. RE: The Battle to Save Aramaic.

Nov-01-2000 at 01:13 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #0

Shlama all-

I think the answer of how to save Aramaic will be different with each one of us and suited to our particular talents.

Here is my battle plan:

There is no question that Akhi Paul will pass on Aramaic to his family, and I believe that his translation will begin the scholarly dialogue that will enalbe Aramaic to take its rightful place as the language of the New Testament, or at a minimum as a critical study area that all Christian scholars should look at to really understand the Savior. Aramaic understanding has been ignored too long in the scholarly community.

To that end, my task is to deal with the issue of Aramaic NT primacy from a scholarly as opposed to a theological level. I am determined to use my opponents' own theories and evidentiary methods against them, rather than my own personal force, which is why I sometimes call what I do "jiu jitsu linguistics." The best example of this in my research is my NT compositional theory known as Apostle Q. This approach keeps the strengths of tradition Q theory, combines these with the historical record that the current theory ignores -- and ends up overturning its most basic assumptions on its head.

I am now actively engaging the Greek primacists on the nazarene forums and I will continue to make progress at least in showing how no picture of Maran Eshoo is complete without Aramaic. I also talk constantly about the importance of Aramaic amongst my conventional Jewish family and friends, reminding them of Aramaic prayers like Kaddish and Kol Nidre.

My scholarly push will be to show the myopia and hypocrisy of the Greek school on issues such as how they admit that the earliest full Greek NT codices are fourth century, but believe internal evidence points to the first century, but when shown Khabboris (also fourth century), assuming that it has no precedent at all. These same scholars believe in documents that never had a single version found (Q) but at the same time will not see how Roman purges of Hebrew and Aramaic writings might have had some impact on the paucity of Semitic fragments. It is also unconscionable that any scholar would believe that Aramaic Christians who would later fight against and die for the idea that rival Aramaic dialects are profane, would never write down the sayings of Maran Eshoo that are in their own language and would instead wait for Greeks to save them from illiteracy.

That is how I believe Aramaic will be saved along with the hope that we will somehow be able to retrieve older NT books which most assuredly are out there. I personally wait to see an original epistle to the Romans with a colophon bearing the name of Tertius the scribe! If we can find the seal of the scribe Baruch who helped Jeremiah, then this can't be impossible either.

Some have said that this kind of scholarly reversal may not happen in our lifetimes, and that could be...but I am going to try and overturn it within the next 30 years. Should I be so fortunate as to aid this goal's completion, I will then go to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in the year 2030, on the actual 2000th anniversary of the Resurrection, and pray in Aramaic there...hopefully with a few people watching.

I'm in my mid thirties now...so it's a good time to get in shape!

Shlama w'burkate
Andrew Gabriel Roth

Print Top
RogerL

Send email to RogerLSend private message to RogerLAdd RogerL to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

5. RE: The Battle to Save Aramaic.

Nov-02-2000 at 10:38 AM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #2

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-00 AT 10:42 AM (CST)

0bybx Nyx0 0ml4

Thanks to all of you for such forward-reaching visions to preserve our language. My attraction and yearning for Aramaic is comparatively recent, but I cannot describe the intensity I feel inside for it. Perhaps my progress is really not so fast either, but the revelations of the psychometry of the language with how I feel really amazes me - and then to imagine these "feelings" with Him just explode my personal faith. I often feel like Akhi Paul has suggested above, if only the world could sense this internal "homesickness" and return to our real roots, much would be better.

And as Akhi Andrew has also noted, to merely express this language to myself, in the sound and nature of its original utterance, wells up in me so much emotion, I can barely breathe - and yet that breath at the same time is so comforting and satisfying nonetheless; and the relaxation that accompanies it serves to yield the most supporting breath I could ever take.

I absolutely cherish the moments of these expressions between myself and He, for it truly is : Nnqnwsd 0mxl.

Please continue to share all you can, for all ...

Ml9w 04h Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Roger

Print Top

Paul Younanmoderator

Send email to Paul YounanSend private message to Paul YounanView profile of Paul YounanAdd Paul Younan to your contact list

Member: Jun-1-2000
Member Feedback

6. The Video!

Nov-06-2000 at 02:24 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #5

LAST EDITED ON Nov-06-00 AT 02:24 PM (CST)

Shlama Kulkhon,

Here is the video!

http://www.assyrian-genocide.org/Aramaic/Aramaic.ram

Shlama w'Burkate,
Paul

Print Top

Forums Topics  Previous Topic Next Topic

Assyria \ã-'sir-é-ä\ n (1998)   1:  an ancient empire of Ashur   2:  a democratic state in Bet-Nahren, Assyria (northern Iraq, northwestern Iran, southeastern Turkey and eastern Syria.)   3:  a democratic state that fosters the social and political rights to all of its inhabitants irrespective of their religion, race, or gender   4:  a democratic state that believes in the freedom of religion, conscience, language, education and culture in faithfulness to the principles of the United Nations Charter — Atour synonym

Ethnicity, Religion, Language
» Israeli, Jewish, Hebrew
» Assyrian, Christian, Aramaic
» Saudi Arabian, Muslim, Arabic
Assyrian \ã-'sir-é-an\ adj or n (1998)   1:  descendants of the ancient empire of Ashur   2:  the Assyrians, although representing but one single nation as the direct heirs of the ancient Assyrian Empire, are now doctrinally divided, inter sese, into five principle ecclesiastically designated religious sects with their corresponding hierarchies and distinct church governments, namely, Church of the East, Chaldean, Maronite, Syriac Orthodox and Syriac Catholic.  These formal divisions had their origin in the 5th century of the Christian Era.  No one can coherently understand the Assyrians as a whole until he can distinguish that which is religion or church from that which is nation -- a matter which is particularly difficult for the people from the western world to understand; for in the East, by force of circumstances beyond their control, religion has been made, from time immemorial, virtually into a criterion of nationality.   3:  the Assyrians have been referred to as Aramaean, Aramaye, Ashuraya, Ashureen, Ashuri, Ashuroyo, Assyrio-Chaldean, Aturaya, Chaldean, Chaldo, ChaldoAssyrian, ChaldoAssyrio, Jacobite, Kaldany, Kaldu, Kasdu, Malabar, Maronite, Maronaya, Nestorian, Nestornaye, Oromoye, Suraya, Syriac, Syrian, Syriani, Suryoye, Suryoyo and Telkeffee. — Assyrianism verb

Aramaic \ar-é-'máik\ n (1998)   1:  a Semitic language which became the lingua franca of the Middle East during the ancient Assyrian empire.   2:  has been referred to as Neo-Aramaic, Neo-Syriac, Classical Syriac, Syriac, Suryoyo, Swadaya and Turoyo.

Please consider the environment when disposing of this material — read, reuse, recycle. ♻
AIM | Atour: The State of Assyria | Terms of Service