Assyrian Forums
 Home  |  Ads  |  Partners  |  Sponsors  |  Contact  |  FAQs  |  About  

Holocaust  |  History  |  Library  |  People  |  TV-Radio  |  Forums  |  Community  |  Directory

General  |  Activism  |  Arts  |  Education  |  Family  |  Financial  |  Government  |  Health  |  History  |  News  |  Religion  |  Science  |  Sports
   Greetings · Shläma · Bärev Dzez · Säludos · Grüße · Shälom · Χαιρετισμοί · Приветствия · 问候 · Bonjour · 挨拶 · تبریکات  · Selamlar · अभिवादन · Groete · التّحيّات

Section 3d of Grammar complete.

Archived: Read only    Previous Topic Next Topic
Home Forums Peshitta Topic #126
Help Print Share

Paul Younanmoderator

Send email to Paul YounanSend private message to Paul YounanView profile of Paul YounanAdd Paul Younan to your contact list

Member: Jun-1-2000
Member Feedback

Section 3d of Grammar complete.

Nov-02-2000 at 11:19 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

Shlama all,

Section 3d of the Grammar (Enclitics) is now complete.

Akhi John Marucci, with this sub-section, I have embedded the Estrangelo font into the pdf document itself as you suggested. If you are reading this, please let me know whether or not it displays properly on the Macintosh platform. If so, I can go ahead and replace the previous documents with embedded ones. Thanks!

Shlama w'Burkate,
Paul

Print Top

Forums Topics  Previous Topic Next Topic
Savitri

Send email to SavitriSend private message to SavitriAdd Savitri to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

1. Oops. . . .

Nov-03-2000 at 04:13 AM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #0

Dear Paul,

Checked on the latest grammar section and, unfortunately, my Microsoft programme won't read the Estrangela in PDF--don't know if it fixed the problem for Macs, but hopefully there's a solution that will be readable by both. What I'm getting is some kind of English font, in upper and lower case. Help?

BTW, the first chapters of Yukhanan are great, and the footnotes are a most excellent addition.

Also, what's the music that you've added to the website? Very enjoyable, although I might prefer just having it on the home page and being able to enter the discussion board and other sites in silence. Does anyone else have preferences one way or the other?

Thanks for all your insights and loving labour, Paul--and I look forward to the next additions to the translation.

Shlama w'Burkate,

Savitr

Print Top

Paul Younanmoderator

Send email to Paul YounanSend private message to Paul YounanView profile of Paul YounanAdd Paul Younan to your contact list

Member Feedback

2. RE: Oops. . . .

Nov-03-2000 at 11:14 AM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #1

Shlama Akhi Savitr,

Excellent idea. I have removed the song from the website, and I'm thinking of putting up a music/hymn section later.

This is a Church hymn (based on Psalm 150) sung by Linda George....it's called "Shabbakh l"Marya", or "Glory to the LORD."

The issue with the pdf file is disturbing. For me, it works both at home and here at work. But, it does take a few seconds to refresh itself and display the proper font.......it starts out as a roman font, but given a few seconds it corrects itself.

I've even tried to print it and it comes out fine.

Is anyone else unable to see the Estrangelo font in the latest section of the Grammar?

Akhi Savitr, let me know if waiting a while does it. Also, are you able to print it successfully? If not, please check which version of Adobe Acrobat you are using.

I'm still interested in knowing whether or not it works for the Mac. Any Mac users out there?

Thanks.

Shlama w'Burkate,
Paul

>Dear Paul,
>
>Checked on the latest grammar section
>and, unfortunately, my Microsoft programme
>won't read the Estrangela in
>PDF--don't know if it fixed
>the problem for Macs, but
>hopefully there's a solution that
>will be readable by both.
> What I'm getting is
>some kind of English font,
>in upper and lower case.
> Help?
>
>BTW, the first chapters of Yukhanan
>are great, and the footnotes
>are a most excellent addition.
>
>
>Also, what's the music that you've
>added to the website?
>Very enjoyable, although I might
>prefer just having it on
>the home page and being
>able to enter the discussion
>board and other sites in
>silence. Does anyone else
>have preferences one way or
>the other?
>
>Thanks for all your insights and
>loving labour, Paul--and I look
>forward to the next additions
>to the translation.
>
>Shlama w'Burkate,
>
>Savitr

Print Top
Dean Dana

Send email to Dean DanaSend private message to Dean DanaAdd Dean Dana to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

3. RE: Oops. . . .

Nov-03-2000 at 01:16 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #2

Akhi Paul,

I am using Acrobat Reader V4.05c. I noticed that at first the font is displayed as Savitri describes but if you wait for the entire section to finish loading the Estrangela appears properly.

Thanks,

Dean Dana

Print Top

Paul Younanmoderator

Member Feedback

6. RE: Oops. . . .

Nov-03-2000 at 04:06 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #3

Akhi Dean,

Great news. Now I can go ahead and replace all the other sections as well.

I'm hoping that Akhi Savitr will find that it loads successfully for him as well.

Shlama w'Burkate,
Paul

>Akhi Paul,
>
>I am using Acrobat Reader V4.05c.
> I noticed that at
>first the font is displayed
>as Savitri describes but if
>you wait for the entire
>section to finish loading the
>Estrangela appears properly.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dean Dana

Print Top
Savitri

Send email to SavitriSend private message to SavitriAdd Savitri to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

9. Double Oops

Nov-04-2000 at 04:21 AM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #2

Shlama, All,

Chicken Little here, reporting on further testing--given time and *patience,* the font does indeed revert to Estrangela, and is printable.

I didn't realize it at the time, but we've had some major phone demands in England due to rain and flooding knocking out service in several areas. My area wasn't affected, but I've noticed that downloading and making connections has taken several times longer in the last few days. At the time, I wasn't expecting delays, and didn't even bother checking to see if the pdf was done downloading after the Roman font had been up for a few seconds.

I checked your emotion icons, but didn't see one for "embarassed," so I'll just say "All is well," and quietly slip out the door now. . . .

Thanks,

Savitr

Print Top
John Marucci

Send email to John MarucciSend private message to John MarucciAdd John Marucci to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

4. Works Fine

Nov-03-2000 at 03:11 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #0

Akhi Paul,

I have tested the pdf version of the enclitic lesson, Section 3d, and, yes, the embedded Estrangelo font works on the Macintosh. I'm using Acrobat Reader 4.0 for Mac.

Also, I have downloaded, unzipped, and reinstalled the Mac version of the Estrangelo truetype font on my computer. It came back fine, so it should work on other Macintoshes.

Finally, thank you for changing the color scheme on your main index. I can now read it without trouble.

Akhak bMshikha
John Marucci

Print Top

Paul Younanmoderator

Member Feedback

5. Great!

Nov-03-2000 at 04:06 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #4

Shlama Akhi John,

That's great. Now, I'm wondering if I should locally host a copy of that Mac-specific archiving program.

Who knows how long it will last on the other website?

I think I will include it......

Thanks for the reply.

Shlama w'Burkate,
Akhakh Paul

>Akhi Paul,
>
>I have tested the pdf version
>of the enclitic lesson, Section
>3d, and, yes, the embedded
>Estrangelo font works on the
>Macintosh. I'm using Acrobat Reader
>4.0 for Mac.
>
>Also, I have downloaded, unzipped, and
>reinstalled the Mac version of
>the Estrangelo truetype font on
>my computer. It came back
>fine, so it should work
>on other Macintoshes.
>
>Finally, thank you for changing the
>color scheme on your main
>index. I can now read
>it without trouble.
>
>Akhak bMshikha
>John Marucci

Print Top
discipledaniel

Send email to discipledanielSend private message to discipledanielAdd discipledaniel to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

7. Linux Problems...

Nov-03-2000 at 11:05 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #0

Akhi Paul,

Thank you so much for the work. It's not that important because I can view them as HTML fine, but the PDF files for the Grammar don't work under Linux. The versions for the files up until the last one just didn't show the estrangela at all, and the new one gives errors and doesn't show anything but the headers of the file and some garbage.

The files for the Interlinear work great with a ghostscript viewer(I use ggv with encryption update for ghostscript), but not in xpdf(the estrangela doesn't show up). I know there is a Adobe Reader for Linux... but I haven't tried it.

Anyways, the point was... thank you for the grammar... I don't expect you to try and support what is at present still a marginal platform. I also wanted to offer to help any other Linux users out there get the Estrangela font working... it takes some playing...

Thanks again for all the work...

God Bless,

Dan Farrell

Print Top

Paul Younanmoderator

Member Feedback

8. RE: Linux Problems...

Nov-03-2000 at 11:40 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #7

Shlama Akhi Dan,

Thank you for having an interest in the grammar! It's because of all of you here that I enjoy this work so much, and what gives me the hope that even if my people should no longer be around one day, yet this language (God willing) may live on.

BTW - I just checked the Adobe page and saw the Linux version you mentioned. I wonder if it would work ok?

The entire concept behind my choosing of the Adobe product was so that platforms would not be an issue.....so I'm glad to see they have the version for Linux. I've been thinking of making "the switch" myself. My dayjob () is working as a software developer currently on a mainframe platform....but I'm starting a new job in a UNIX shop next week, so I better start learning at home too....I think Linux would be a good choice.

Thanks for your offer for help. Currently, the web log shows quite a few accesses to the website from Linux machines....so I know they are out there.....and would benefit greatly from your knowledge.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Fk^rwbw 0ml4
Paul

>Akhi Paul,
>
>Thank you so much for the
>work. It's not that
>important because I can view
>them as HTML fine, but
>the PDF files for the
>Grammar don't work under Linux.
> The versions for the
>files up until the last
>one just didn't show the
>estrangela at all, and the
>new one gives errors and
>doesn't show anything but the
>headers of the file and
>some garbage.
>
>The files for the Interlinear work
>great with a ghostscript viewer(I
>use ggv with encryption update
>for ghostscript), but not in
>xpdf(the estrangela doesn't show up).
> I know there is
>a Adobe Reader for Linux...
>but I haven't tried it.
>
>
>Anyways, the point was... thank
>you for the grammar...
>I don't expect you to
>try and support what is
>at present still a marginal
>platform. I also wanted
>to offer to help any
>other Linux users out there
>get the Estrangela font working...
> it takes some playing...
>
>
>Thanks again for all the work...
>
>
>God Bless,
>
>Dan Farrell

Print Top

Forums Topics  Previous Topic Next Topic

Assyria \ã-'sir-é-ä\ n (1998)   1:  an ancient empire of Ashur   2:  a democratic state in Bet-Nahren, Assyria (northern Iraq, northwestern Iran, southeastern Turkey and eastern Syria.)   3:  a democratic state that fosters the social and political rights to all of its inhabitants irrespective of their religion, race, or gender   4:  a democratic state that believes in the freedom of religion, conscience, language, education and culture in faithfulness to the principles of the United Nations Charter — Atour synonym

Ethnicity, Religion, Language
» Israeli, Jewish, Hebrew
» Assyrian, Christian, Aramaic
» Saudi Arabian, Muslim, Arabic
Assyrian \ã-'sir-é-an\ adj or n (1998)   1:  descendants of the ancient empire of Ashur   2:  the Assyrians, although representing but one single nation as the direct heirs of the ancient Assyrian Empire, are now doctrinally divided, inter sese, into five principle ecclesiastically designated religious sects with their corresponding hierarchies and distinct church governments, namely, Church of the East, Chaldean, Maronite, Syriac Orthodox and Syriac Catholic.  These formal divisions had their origin in the 5th century of the Christian Era.  No one can coherently understand the Assyrians as a whole until he can distinguish that which is religion or church from that which is nation -- a matter which is particularly difficult for the people from the western world to understand; for in the East, by force of circumstances beyond their control, religion has been made, from time immemorial, virtually into a criterion of nationality.   3:  the Assyrians have been referred to as Aramaean, Aramaye, Ashuraya, Ashureen, Ashuri, Ashuroyo, Assyrio-Chaldean, Aturaya, Chaldean, Chaldo, ChaldoAssyrian, ChaldoAssyrio, Jacobite, Kaldany, Kaldu, Kasdu, Malabar, Maronite, Maronaya, Nestorian, Nestornaye, Oromoye, Suraya, Syriac, Syrian, Syriani, Suryoye, Suryoyo and Telkeffee. — Assyrianism verb

Aramaic \ar-é-'máik\ n (1998)   1:  a Semitic language which became the lingua franca of the Middle East during the ancient Assyrian empire.   2:  has been referred to as Neo-Aramaic, Neo-Syriac, Classical Syriac, Syriac, Suryoyo, Swadaya and Turoyo.

Please consider the environment when disposing of this material — read, reuse, recycle. ♻
AIM | Atour: The State of Assyria | Terms of Service