Assyrian Forums
 Home  |  Ads  |  Partners  |  Sponsors  |  Contact  |  FAQs  |  About  

Holocaust  |  History  |  Library  |  People  |  TV-Radio  |  Forums  |  Community  |  Directory

General  |  Activism  |  Arts  |  Education  |  Family  |  Financial  |  Government  |  Health  |  History  |  News  |  Religion  |  Science  |  Sports
   Greetings · Shläma · Bärev Dzez · Säludos · Grüße · Shälom · Χαιρετισμοί · Приветствия · 问候 · Bonjour · 挨拶 · تبریکات  · Selamlar · अभिवादन · Groete · التّحيّات

New Estrangelo Font!!!!!

Archived: Read only    Previous Topic Next Topic
Home Forums Peshitta Topic #172
Help Print Share

Paul Younanmoderator

Send email to Paul YounanSend private message to Paul YounanView profile of Paul YounanAdd Paul Younan to your contact list

Member: Jun-1-2000
Member Feedback

New Estrangelo Font!!!!!

Jan-09-2001 at 02:03 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

Shlama all,

There is a new version of the Estrangelo font, and it can be accessed from the Lexicon page.

The font contains many improvements, and you must download this new version in order to use the Lexicon. Sorry for the inconvenience!

The Grammar section will also be "switched" to the new version in the next 24 hours....

Please begin using this font, instructions for installation can be found on the "Help!" link in the Lexicon. If the download does not work by clicking on the font with the left mouse button, try it again by right-clicking on it and selecting "Save Target As..".

Thanks again, and sorry for the inconvenience.

Shlama w'Burkate,
Paul

Print Top

Forums Topics  Previous Topic Next Topic
John Marucci

Send email to John MarucciSend private message to John MarucciAdd John Marucci to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

1. RE: New Estrangelo Font - Problems

Jan-09-2001 at 06:28 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #0

Akhi Paul,

I have converted the new Estrangelo font to Macintosh format, but there are problems. The new font converts over with a font ID # 18772. This number is in the range reserved for the Hebrew language kit which I have installed on my Mac. The result is garbage in my word processor and crashes with Netscape.

To get around this I tried changing the fonts ID number back to the number of your original font, 19699, in the hope that both Netscape and your site used only the name of the font as a marker.

Unfortunately, I am getting erratic results. While I can still search for an English word and see the Estrangela font on screen, sometimes the lexicon refuses to accept any Aramaic query I type in. Oddly enough when this happens I can copy an Aramaic entry from an English search result, past it into an Aramaic search, and get a result. But if I try typing the exact same thing into the Aramaic search box I get nothing. At other times an Aramaic search works fine.

Because of this Im going to hold off sending you the Mac font for a couple of days while I test its stability.

John Marucci

P.S.

The good news I was going to give you about the Lexicon before the new font problems was that Ive had no more exact duplicate returns over the last few days.

Print Top

David Chiboteam

Send email to David ChiboSend private message to David ChiboView profile of David ChiboAdd David Chibo to your contact list

Member: Mar-1-1999
Member Feedback

2. RE: New Estrangelo Font - Problems

Jan-09-2001 at 09:28 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #1

Akhi John,

You are correct in that the font uses ISO 8859-8, which WAS the semetic standard for Hebrew, and other semetic languages.

I have two Estrangelo fonts. One is a 16 bit font that operates on windows 3.1, whilst the other is a 32 bit font which ooperates on win95,98/NT.

The previous Estrangelo font being used on this forum was the 16bit version. I renamd the 32 bit and it is the font you currently have.

I will now modify the 16bit font and pass it onto Paul to upload before you test it. If it works on your Mac, we can replace the 32bit back with the 16bit, as the 16bit will be compatible with all platforms.

Good luck,
David Chibo

Print Top
John Marucci

Send email to John MarucciSend private message to John MarucciAdd John Marucci to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

3. RE: New Estrangelo Font - Problems

Jan-10-2001 at 06:05 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #2

Akhi David,

Here, briefly, is the problem for Mac users. While both Apple and Microsoft are implementing 32 bit Unicode in their newest operating systems, we are still dealing with the vestiges of earlier font systems.

Back in the 1980s when fonts were limited to 256 characters, Apple implemented a system called Worldscript which allowed the swapping of code pages for different writing systems. Each code page was given a script I.D. number and a range of I.D. numbers for the fonts associated with that writing system. While having gone through many improvements, this is still the basic multi-lingual system that third party developers currently support on the Mac.

Your first font, Estrangelo (V1.1), with the number 18772 was in the range set aside for the Cyrillic writing system. Since I don't have the Cyrillic writing system installed on my computer my word processor treated it as a Roman font as did Netscape Communicator, with some minor problems. Microsoft's Internet Explorer 4.5 for Mac, however, won't use fonts with a number outside of the Roman writing system and therefor substituted a default Roman font. Adobes Acrobat Reader 4.x for Mac apparently has similar problems.

Your new font with an ID of 19699 is in the range set aside for the Hebrew writing system which I did have on my computer. Since the above browsers don't work properly with Apple's Worldscript system and your fonts glyphs are in different places from the assignments the Hebrew writing system expects, this caused crashes. While I am not using the Hebrew script system at present and can remove it, others may need it.

Since I still have the Arabic WorldScript system installed to run a Mac specific Syriac font, I don't know what problems your font ID numbers are causing on English only systems.

Until Netscape and Microsoft fully implement 32 bit Unicode on their Mac browsers, the only way to make your font fully usable on all Macs is to see if you can use the font ID number range set aside for the Roman writing system, 1024 - 16383, on Windows. If not, I can upload a Mac font with your current numbering, but It wont work on all Mac configurations.

John Marucci
grayquil@madbbs.com

Print Top

Forums Topics  Previous Topic Next Topic

Assyria \ã-'sir-é-ä\ n (1998)   1:  an ancient empire of Ashur   2:  a democratic state in Bet-Nahren, Assyria (northern Iraq, northwestern Iran, southeastern Turkey and eastern Syria.)   3:  a democratic state that fosters the social and political rights to all of its inhabitants irrespective of their religion, race, or gender   4:  a democratic state that believes in the freedom of religion, conscience, language, education and culture in faithfulness to the principles of the United Nations Charter — Atour synonym

Ethnicity, Religion, Language
» Israeli, Jewish, Hebrew
» Assyrian, Christian, Aramaic
» Saudi Arabian, Muslim, Arabic
Assyrian \ã-'sir-é-an\ adj or n (1998)   1:  descendants of the ancient empire of Ashur   2:  the Assyrians, although representing but one single nation as the direct heirs of the ancient Assyrian Empire, are now doctrinally divided, inter sese, into five principle ecclesiastically designated religious sects with their corresponding hierarchies and distinct church governments, namely, Church of the East, Chaldean, Maronite, Syriac Orthodox and Syriac Catholic.  These formal divisions had their origin in the 5th century of the Christian Era.  No one can coherently understand the Assyrians as a whole until he can distinguish that which is religion or church from that which is nation -- a matter which is particularly difficult for the people from the western world to understand; for in the East, by force of circumstances beyond their control, religion has been made, from time immemorial, virtually into a criterion of nationality.   3:  the Assyrians have been referred to as Aramaean, Aramaye, Ashuraya, Ashureen, Ashuri, Ashuroyo, Assyrio-Chaldean, Aturaya, Chaldean, Chaldo, ChaldoAssyrian, ChaldoAssyrio, Jacobite, Kaldany, Kaldu, Kasdu, Malabar, Maronite, Maronaya, Nestorian, Nestornaye, Oromoye, Suraya, Syriac, Syrian, Syriani, Suryoye, Suryoyo and Telkeffee. — Assyrianism verb

Aramaic \ar-é-'máik\ n (1998)   1:  a Semitic language which became the lingua franca of the Middle East during the ancient Assyrian empire.   2:  has been referred to as Neo-Aramaic, Neo-Syriac, Classical Syriac, Syriac, Suryoyo, Swadaya and Turoyo.

Please consider the environment when disposing of this material — read, reuse, recycle. ♻
AIM | Atour: The State of Assyria | Terms of Service