Assyrian Forums
 Home  |  Ads  |  Partners  |  Sponsors  |  Contact  |  FAQs  |  About  

Holocaust  |  History  |  Library  |  People  |  TV-Radio  |  Forums  |  Community  |  Directory

General  |  Activism  |  Arts  |  Education  |  Family  |  Financial  |  Government  |  Health  |  History  |  News  |  Religion  |  Science  |  Sports
   Greetings · Shläma · Bärev Dzez · Säludos · Grüße · Shälom · Χαιρετισμοί · Приветствия · 问候 · Bonjour · 挨拶 · تبریکات  · Selamlar · अभिवादन · Groete · التّحيّات

Paraqleeta

Archived: Read only    Previous Topic Next Topic
Home Forums Peshitta Topic #188
Help Print Share
Stephen

Send email to StephenSend private message to StephenAdd Stephen to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

Paraqleeta

Feb-08-2001 at 05:15 AM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

Shlama Akhi Paul:
This is my first posting, on this forum. However, I have been reading the posts, for awhile, and learning much.

In a very recent post, you transliterated John 14:16, and I noticed the word "paraqleeta", "redeemer".

I thought this was a Greek word, so I checked it in the Greek "Textus Receptus", and it appears there, (Strongs # 3875, "paracletos: an intercessor, consoler; advocate, comforter"). It appears to come from a combination of "para; from", and "kletos; called, invited".

This same word, also appears in John 14:26, 15:26, 16:7, "that's 16:seven ;o)", both in the "Peshitta", and in the "Textus Receptus". It also appears in, "The Analytical Lexicon to the Greek New Testament", by William D. Mounce, on page 353. Dr. Mounce seems to affirm the meaning, of "Para-kletos", to be, "one called, or sent for to assist another".

Is this word borrowed from the Greek?
Is it an Aramaic word that just looks and sounds as if it was Greek?
Is there an Aramaic word that is equivalent to it?

Thank you for the opportunity, to take part in this forum.
Shlama w'Burkate,
Stephen Silver

Print Top

Forums Topics  Previous Topic Next Topic

Paul Younanmoderator

Send email to Paul YounanSend private message to Paul YounanView profile of Paul YounanAdd Paul Younan to your contact list

Member: Jun-1-2000
Member Feedback

1. RE: Paraqleeta

Feb-09-2001 at 03:20 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #0

Shlama Akhi Stephen,

Welcome to the forum!

To answer your question, I believe this is an Aramaic construct which has been simply transliterated into Greek by the 1st century translators.

In short, the Greek term 'Paraclitus' has no witness, to my knowledge, prior to the Greek translation of the Gospels.

In my opionion, what happened was the Greeks simply transliterated the Aramaic construct "Paraq-Layta" (which is formed by 2 verbs, PRQ and LYT, Lexicon #'s 17252 and 11089, respectively) and since then the term has been called a Greek construct from 'Para' and 'Kleetos'. In Greek, this construct would come to mean, as you mentioned, 'One who is called upon (for help).'

In Aramaic, the root PRQ (#17252) is a verb which means to 'rescue, deliver, save, redeem, finish, complete, etc.' The other part of the construct, LYTA (#11089) is a verb which means to 'curse.'

In Aramaic, this construct would mean 'Redeemer or ender of the Curse', which further strengthens the Christian dogma that by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, our fallen nature is 'redeemed' from the 'curse' of Adam.....and this is a particularly well-documented theme in the patristic writings of the Church of the East.

Shlama w'Burkate,
Paul

>Shlama Akhi Paul:
> This is my first
>posting, on this forum. However,
>I have been reading the
>posts, for awhile, and learning
>much.
>
> In a very recent
>post, you transliterated John 14:16,
>and I noticed the word
>"paraqleeta", "redeemer".
>
> I thought this was
>a Greek word, so I
>checked it in the Greek
>"Textus Receptus", and it appears
>there, (Strongs # 3875, "paracletos:
>an intercessor, consoler; advocate, comforter").
>It appears to come from
>a combination of "para; from",
>and "kletos; called, invited".
>
> This same word, also
>appears in John 14:26, 15:26,
>16:7, "that's 16:seven ;o)", both
>in the "Peshitta", and in
>the "Textus Receptus". It also
>appears in, "The Analytical Lexicon
>to the Greek New Testament",
>by William D. Mounce, on
>page 353. Dr. Mounce seems
>to affirm the meaning, of
>"Para-kletos", to be, "one called,
>or sent for to assist
>another".
>
>Is this word borrowed from the
>Greek?
>Is it an Aramaic word that
>just looks and sounds as
>if it was Greek?
>Is there an Aramaic word that
>is equivalent to it?
>
>Thank you for the opportunity, to
>take part in this forum.
>
>Shlama w'Burkate,
>Stephen Silver

<br>Fk^rwbw 0ml4
Paul

Print Top
James_Trimm

Send email to James_TrimmSend private message to James_TrimmAdd James_Trimm to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

2. RE: Paraqleeta

Feb-10-2001 at 11:48 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #0

The Following is from my footnote on this word in the HRV (minus the HEBREW/ARAMAIC fonts)

comforter. See Is. 66:13 As one whom his mother comforts, so will I comfort you. This Aramaic word <font omitted> appears in Jn. 14:16, 26; 15:26; 16:7 and 1Jn. 2:1. This word appears in the Hebrew of the Mishna in m.Avot 4:11a "...He who does even a single religious duty gets himself a good advocate (or comforter) (<font omitted>; he who does even a single transgression gets himself a prosecutor (<font omitted>." Also the Jewish Dictionary states The sin offering is like the paraclete before God it interceded for man and is followed by another a thank offering for the pardon obtained. The two daily burnt offerings are called the two parcletes. (pp. 514-515).
This Aramaic word is also used to translate Hebrew MELITS in the Targum of Job 16:20 & 33:23.
It is generally accepted that this is a loan word from Greek although some have proposed that it originates in Semitic from "parik" (to break) and "leta" (there is not) or "parik" (apart from) "leta" ("the curse" in Persian) or that it is a participle of the Aramaic verb <font omitted> prak (to save). See also Ezek. 36:27.

James Trimm

Print Top
ShmuelElizer

Send email to ShmuelElizerSend private message to ShmuelElizerView profile of ShmuelElizerAdd ShmuelElizer to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

3. RE: Paraqleeta

Feb-12-2001 at 04:23 AM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #2

Your analaysis is good. however I agree the word Paraqleeta is of Greek origin. Paul said that other than the new Testament he knows of no classical Greek use of the word Parakletos. Well according to the Theological Dictionary of the new Testament that is not the case. In classical Greek the word parakaleo basically means to call in. From this follow the other meanings, which are often hard to distinguish from one another: to ask (sometimesused of invoking the gods),exhort,request,and speak consoling words (especiallly in cases of bereavement. In the LXX parakaleo frequently means to be moved to comfort(e.g.,Gen.37:35;Ps.119:50). I thought you would whant to know. Page 969Strongs # 4151from the NIV Theological Dictionary of New Testament Words by Verlyn D. Verbrugge (one Volume Abridged Edition).
I do not have Job in the Aramaic ,but the Hebrew word you spoke of is there and agrees with your meaning. To bad there is no Theological Dictionary of the New Testament Peshitta in existence as it would be interesting to see the origin and uses of the Aramaic words used. Sam Shlama Wberkhate.

Print Top

Forums Topics  Previous Topic Next Topic

Assyria \ã-'sir-é-ä\ n (1998)   1:  an ancient empire of Ashur   2:  a democratic state in Bet-Nahren, Assyria (northern Iraq, northwestern Iran, southeastern Turkey and eastern Syria.)   3:  a democratic state that fosters the social and political rights to all of its inhabitants irrespective of their religion, race, or gender   4:  a democratic state that believes in the freedom of religion, conscience, language, education and culture in faithfulness to the principles of the United Nations Charter — Atour synonym

Ethnicity, Religion, Language
» Israeli, Jewish, Hebrew
» Assyrian, Christian, Aramaic
» Saudi Arabian, Muslim, Arabic
Assyrian \ã-'sir-é-an\ adj or n (1998)   1:  descendants of the ancient empire of Ashur   2:  the Assyrians, although representing but one single nation as the direct heirs of the ancient Assyrian Empire, are now doctrinally divided, inter sese, into five principle ecclesiastically designated religious sects with their corresponding hierarchies and distinct church governments, namely, Church of the East, Chaldean, Maronite, Syriac Orthodox and Syriac Catholic.  These formal divisions had their origin in the 5th century of the Christian Era.  No one can coherently understand the Assyrians as a whole until he can distinguish that which is religion or church from that which is nation -- a matter which is particularly difficult for the people from the western world to understand; for in the East, by force of circumstances beyond their control, religion has been made, from time immemorial, virtually into a criterion of nationality.   3:  the Assyrians have been referred to as Aramaean, Aramaye, Ashuraya, Ashureen, Ashuri, Ashuroyo, Assyrio-Chaldean, Aturaya, Chaldean, Chaldo, ChaldoAssyrian, ChaldoAssyrio, Jacobite, Kaldany, Kaldu, Kasdu, Malabar, Maronite, Maronaya, Nestorian, Nestornaye, Oromoye, Suraya, Syriac, Syrian, Syriani, Suryoye, Suryoyo and Telkeffee. — Assyrianism verb

Aramaic \ar-é-'máik\ n (1998)   1:  a Semitic language which became the lingua franca of the Middle East during the ancient Assyrian empire.   2:  has been referred to as Neo-Aramaic, Neo-Syriac, Classical Syriac, Syriac, Suryoyo, Swadaya and Turoyo.

Please consider the environment when disposing of this material — read, reuse, recycle. ♻
AIM | Atour: The State of Assyria | Terms of Service