Assyrian Forums
 Home  |  Ads  |  Partners  |  Sponsors  |  Contact  |  FAQs  |  About  

Holocaust  |  History  |  Library  |  People  |  TV-Radio  |  Forums  |  Community  |  Directory

General  |  Activism  |  Arts  |  Education  |  Family  |  Financial  |  Government  |  Health  |  History  |  News  |  Religion  |  Science  |  Sports
   Greetings · Shläma · Bärev Dzez · Säludos · Grüße · Shälom · Χαιρετισμοί · Приветствия · 问候 · Bonjour · 挨拶 · تبریکات  · Selamlar · अभिवादन · Groete · التّحيّات

Akhi Shmuel,

Archived: Read only    Previous Topic Next Topic
Home Forums Peshitta Topic #280
Help Print Share

Paul Younanmoderator

Send email to Paul YounanSend private message to Paul YounanView profile of Paul YounanAdd Paul Younan to your contact list

Member: Jun-1-2000
Member Feedback

Akhi Shmuel,

Mar-07-2001 at 12:16 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

Shlama Akhi Shmuel,

Why do you not keep the Fast of the Ninevites, as we do? Every year since Nebi Yonah preached to our city, Nineveh, we have kept this fast...till today.

Why do you not keep it?

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Print Top

Forums Topics  Previous Topic Next Topic
sam

Send email to samSend private message to samAdd sam to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

1. RE: Akhi Shmuel,

Mar-07-2001 at 08:13 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #0

Akhi Paul:
I dso not know its history and the scriptures do not talk about it. If its important knowledge about this historical day should be made known so if it is God's will we should all observe it. Or maybe what your getting at is that i have been overly critical of others not respecting their cultural heritqage and judgeing without all the facts. Then the reason I could give is I do not observe this holyday of yours because it is for assyrians only and not given to all the nations as a whole. But the Scripture is for all people not just the Jews or the assyrians and it should be practised. if the scripture commands for the Israelites to keep this fast then I think we all should observe it , like the Jews observe the fasts of Tammuz on the 17th day and the 9th day of Av called Tishabav in commeration of the sad destruction of the Holy Temple of God the Beita Miqdasha. Shlama Rabbba W'Berkahte. Sam
Sorry if I caused unessary dificulties making poeple have judgemental attiudes about others. I know its not for this form to make critical judgements on other parts of the body of Messiah. I want talk about these personal differences as much and I wont add critical things about others. There is a lot of religious bashing already and we do not need to be adding to it. I apoligize.

Print Top

Paul Younanmoderator

Send email to Paul YounanSend private message to Paul YounanView profile of Paul YounanAdd Paul Younan to your contact list

Member Feedback

2. RE: Akhi Shmuel,

Mar-07-2001 at 08:39 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #1

Shlama Akhi Shmuel,

Yes, the fast of the Ninevites is only for the Assyrians. The Prophet Yonah came to us only, so I do not expect you to keep a fast which the prophet told us to keep every year since the King decreed it.

My only point was, God has spoken to different people in different ways throughout history.

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Print Top
sam

Member:
Member Feedback

3. RE: Akhi Shmuel,

Mar-07-2001 at 10:08 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #2

Akhi Paul:
I realize that. I would like to know how do you conduct the fast of the Nivites and what day is it celebrated on. The Biblical calendar of the israelites is the Babylonian Mooon Cycle of twelve 30 day months with an extra month so often in a 19 year cycle of 30 days. the extra month keeps the solemn Feasts days intheir proper season withthe balance fo the solar and lunar year. Otherwise we would be like the Islamic Lunar Calendar having Passover inthe spring one year and years later in sumer and winter and so forth. But the Biblical Hoydays must be kept intheir respective season , they are often tied with agricultural celebrations as the Baylonian Religions were. Is a fast from Evening to Evening 24 hours without food and water or just food or only one or two meals or what? In the Biblical Fasts they were mostly 24 hours withoutfood or water. however the Fast of Esther equivalent in some ways to the Fast of the Ninavites is kept for 24 hours only , but Esther and her people kept it first for 72 hours or three days. Shmuel Eliezer

Print Top

Paul Younanmoderator

Member Feedback

4. RE: Akhi Shmuel,

Mar-08-2001 at 10:44 AM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #3

Shlama Akhi Shmuel,

We have the same calendar, the Mesopotamian calendar. The months are the same names, too.

We keep the Rogation of the Ninevites on the 2nd Monday of Shwat (February) for 3 days. Fasting style varies, but usually people abstain from any animal products (flesh, butter, milk, eggs, etc.) for the entire 3 days. Others do not eat or drink for the entire period of time. It depends on the person, their age, health, etc.

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Print Top
sam

Member:
Member Feedback

5. RE: Akhi Shmuel,

Mar-08-2001 at 12:31 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #4

Akhi Paul:
The fasting is interesting in Megilla(Scroll) of Esther she and her maids and the rest of the community fasted without food or drink , for three days and nights in constant prayer. The Orthodox Churches have a period called lent forty days and nights before Pascha, in which as Maran Eashoa fasted forty days and nights in the wilderness while being tempted by the Shatana and Moshe (Musha) also fasted forty days and nights when receiving the Orayata(Torah) from Allaha (God) on Har Sinai, they abvstain from all foods of animal origin for 40 days and nights. I know this is seldom observed any more due to harships and the lack of commitment of the Orthodox Church today. Timothy Ware rights about it in his book The Orthodox Church. Do you also observe this period the Church Father called Lent? If so, how is it observed? Shlama Rabba W'Berkhhate, Shmuel Eliezer

Print Top

Paul Younanmoderator

Member Feedback

6. RE: Akhi Shmuel,

Mar-08-2001 at 01:09 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #5

Shlama Akhi Shmuel,

Yes, we observe what the Latin rite calls 'Lent', but we do it for 50 days, for a reason I cannot remember right now. I will have to research it.

It is the same way, people refrain from animal products for the entire time, with meals and water taken only during the evening.

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Print Top

Forums Topics  Previous Topic Next Topic

Assyria \ã-'sir-é-ä\ n (1998)   1:  an ancient empire of Ashur   2:  a democratic state in Bet-Nahren, Assyria (northern Iraq, northwestern Iran, southeastern Turkey and eastern Syria.)   3:  a democratic state that fosters the social and political rights to all of its inhabitants irrespective of their religion, race, or gender   4:  a democratic state that believes in the freedom of religion, conscience, language, education and culture in faithfulness to the principles of the United Nations Charter — Atour synonym

Ethnicity, Religion, Language
» Israeli, Jewish, Hebrew
» Assyrian, Christian, Aramaic
» Saudi Arabian, Muslim, Arabic
Assyrian \ã-'sir-é-an\ adj or n (1998)   1:  descendants of the ancient empire of Ashur   2:  the Assyrians, although representing but one single nation as the direct heirs of the ancient Assyrian Empire, are now doctrinally divided, inter sese, into five principle ecclesiastically designated religious sects with their corresponding hierarchies and distinct church governments, namely, Church of the East, Chaldean, Maronite, Syriac Orthodox and Syriac Catholic.  These formal divisions had their origin in the 5th century of the Christian Era.  No one can coherently understand the Assyrians as a whole until he can distinguish that which is religion or church from that which is nation -- a matter which is particularly difficult for the people from the western world to understand; for in the East, by force of circumstances beyond their control, religion has been made, from time immemorial, virtually into a criterion of nationality.   3:  the Assyrians have been referred to as Aramaean, Aramaye, Ashuraya, Ashureen, Ashuri, Ashuroyo, Assyrio-Chaldean, Aturaya, Chaldean, Chaldo, ChaldoAssyrian, ChaldoAssyrio, Jacobite, Kaldany, Kaldu, Kasdu, Malabar, Maronite, Maronaya, Nestorian, Nestornaye, Oromoye, Suraya, Syriac, Syrian, Syriani, Suryoye, Suryoyo and Telkeffee. — Assyrianism verb

Aramaic \ar-é-'máik\ n (1998)   1:  a Semitic language which became the lingua franca of the Middle East during the ancient Assyrian empire.   2:  has been referred to as Neo-Aramaic, Neo-Syriac, Classical Syriac, Syriac, Suryoyo, Swadaya and Turoyo.

Please consider the environment when disposing of this material — read, reuse, recycle. ♻
AIM | Atour: The State of Assyria | Terms of Service