Assyrian Forums
 Home  |  Ads  |  Partners  |  Sponsors  |  Contact  |  FAQs  |  About  

Holocaust  |  History  |  Library  |  People  |  TV-Radio  |  Forums  |  Community  |  Directory

General  |  Activism  |  Arts  |  Education  |  Family  |  Financial  |  Government  |  Health  |  History  |  News  |  Religion  |  Science  |  Sports
   Greetings · Shläma · Bärev Dzez · Säludos · Grüße · Shälom · Χαιρετισμοί · Приветствия · 问候 · Bonjour · 挨拶 · تبریکات  · Selamlar · अभिवादन · Groete · التّحيّات

Word Documents.

Archived: Read only    Previous Topic Next Topic
Home Forums Peshitta Topic #324
Help Print Share

Paul Younanmoderator

Send email to Paul YounanSend private message to Paul YounanView profile of Paul YounanAdd Paul Younan to your contact list

Member: Jun-1-2000
Member Feedback

Word Documents.

Mar-14-2001 at 10:57 AM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

Shlama Kulkhon Akhay,

The Microsoft Word documents for Matti - Phillipians are now uploaded. You should be able to access them from the Peshitta menu. There will be a blue button at the very top of the chapter listing, that says "Word Doc." You must have the Estrangelo (V1.1) font installed on your machine in order to view the documents properly.

Please let me know if you have trouble accessing these documents.

Also, we should be able to "copy" and "paste" directly into the Lexicon.

The documents for Colossians through Hebrews should be available later this evening.

Enjoy!

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Print Top

Forums Topics  Previous Topic Next Topic
sam

Send email to samSend private message to samAdd sam to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

1. RE: Word Documents.

Mar-14-2001 at 05:21 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #0

Akhi Paul:
What about 2/3 John,Jude, Revelation, 2 Keepa why leave these books out if the Western Syrian Cannon has them and many Eastern Bible s have included these in Aramaic as well. Whether or not these are marly translations of the Greeek we do not know, but they are a part of the Churches faith for thousands of years and can'tr be thrown out like common trash. Shlama W'Berkhata Shmuel Eliezer

Print Top

Paul Younanmoderator

Send email to Paul YounanSend private message to Paul YounanView profile of Paul YounanAdd Paul Younan to your contact list

Member Feedback

2. RE: Word Documents.

Mar-14-2001 at 07:02 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #1

Shlama Akhi Shmuel,

We have the utmost reverence for these books and consider them to be pious works, and would never suggest throwing them away.

The question of their authentic apostolic authorship aside, these books never were included in our canon, our manuscripts do not include them.

If I were to include them, I would be giving the false impression to people that they belong inside the Peshitta canon. Also, I would be criticized for doing so by those within my own community.

Since this website is dedicated to the Peshitta version of the Church of the East, and not the Peshitto version of the Western Church Canon, it naturally should follow the canon represented by their early manuscripts, and also the order of their books, which differs from that of the West.

The same argument can be made for the many books included in the Ethiopian or Coptic canon, they have books like 3 Corinthians and others. I cannot include those. They were never part of this tradition.

It would be like asking the Orthodox Jews to include Tobit in their canon because the Roman Catholic Church & Church of the East consider it canonical. We cannot ask them to do that, it is their own tradition.

Besides, I really (honestly) have no copy electronically of the 5 disputed books, and it would take a long time to do.

Finally, these works were not written originally in Aramaic, but in Greek. There is no purpose in putting up an Aramaic translation here of a Greek work. If we want to understand Revelation better, it is better to go directly to the original Greek rather than an Aramaic translation.

I hope this explains my position better - I'm not trying to be disrespectful, only respectful to the canon and tradition I am translating.

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Print Top
judge

Send email to judgeSend private message to judgeAdd judge to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

4. RE: Word Documents.

Mar-15-2001 at 07:46 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #2

How do we know that these five books were books were origionally written in Greek?...peace from the great southern land....michael

Print Top

Paul Younanmoderator

Member Feedback

5. RE: Word Documents.

Mar-15-2001 at 09:10 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #4

Shlama Akhi Michael,

Church tradition tells us they were. Also, for a demonstration of the "Greekness" of Revelation, check out a post by me in the "Archives" dated August 25, 2000, titled "Translation Greek".

More soon......

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Print Top

Paul Younanmoderator

Member Feedback

3. RE: Word Documents.

Mar-14-2001 at 08:01 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #0

Shlama Akhay,

All 22 books are now available, enjoy!

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Print Top

Forums Topics  Previous Topic Next Topic

Assyria \ã-'sir-é-ä\ n (1998)   1:  an ancient empire of Ashur   2:  a democratic state in Bet-Nahren, Assyria (northern Iraq, northwestern Iran, southeastern Turkey and eastern Syria.)   3:  a democratic state that fosters the social and political rights to all of its inhabitants irrespective of their religion, race, or gender   4:  a democratic state that believes in the freedom of religion, conscience, language, education and culture in faithfulness to the principles of the United Nations Charter — Atour synonym

Ethnicity, Religion, Language
» Israeli, Jewish, Hebrew
» Assyrian, Christian, Aramaic
» Saudi Arabian, Muslim, Arabic
Assyrian \ã-'sir-é-an\ adj or n (1998)   1:  descendants of the ancient empire of Ashur   2:  the Assyrians, although representing but one single nation as the direct heirs of the ancient Assyrian Empire, are now doctrinally divided, inter sese, into five principle ecclesiastically designated religious sects with their corresponding hierarchies and distinct church governments, namely, Church of the East, Chaldean, Maronite, Syriac Orthodox and Syriac Catholic.  These formal divisions had their origin in the 5th century of the Christian Era.  No one can coherently understand the Assyrians as a whole until he can distinguish that which is religion or church from that which is nation -- a matter which is particularly difficult for the people from the western world to understand; for in the East, by force of circumstances beyond their control, religion has been made, from time immemorial, virtually into a criterion of nationality.   3:  the Assyrians have been referred to as Aramaean, Aramaye, Ashuraya, Ashureen, Ashuri, Ashuroyo, Assyrio-Chaldean, Aturaya, Chaldean, Chaldo, ChaldoAssyrian, ChaldoAssyrio, Jacobite, Kaldany, Kaldu, Kasdu, Malabar, Maronite, Maronaya, Nestorian, Nestornaye, Oromoye, Suraya, Syriac, Syrian, Syriani, Suryoye, Suryoyo and Telkeffee. — Assyrianism verb

Aramaic \ar-é-'máik\ n (1998)   1:  a Semitic language which became the lingua franca of the Middle East during the ancient Assyrian empire.   2:  has been referred to as Neo-Aramaic, Neo-Syriac, Classical Syriac, Syriac, Suryoyo, Swadaya and Turoyo.

Please consider the environment when disposing of this material — read, reuse, recycle. ♻
AIM | Atour: The State of Assyria | Terms of Service