Assyrian Forums
 Home  |  Ads  |  Partners  |  Sponsors  |  Contact  |  FAQs  |  About  

Holocaust  |  History  |  Library  |  People  |  TV-Radio  |  Forums  |  Community  |  Directory

General  |  Activism  |  Arts  |  Education  |  Family  |  Financial  |  Government  |  Health  |  History  |  News  |  Religion  |  Science  |  Sports
   Greetings · Shläma · Bärev Dzez · Säludos · Grüße · Shälom · Χαιρετισμοί · Приветствия · 问候 · Bonjour · 挨拶 · تبریکات  · Selamlar · अभिवादन · Groete · التّحيّات

My Parish.

Archived: Read only    Previous Topic Next Topic
Home Forums Peshitta Topic #667
Help Print Share

Paul Younanmoderator

Send email to Paul YounanSend private message to Paul YounanView profile of Paul YounanAdd Paul Younan to your contact list

Member: Jun-1-2000
Member Feedback

My Parish.

Sep-23-2001 at 11:54 AM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

Shlama l'Kulkhon,

It is with deep sadness that I write this note to all of you. My parish, St. John Church of the East in Chicago, has been burned down in an arson attack early this morning. It is being investigated as a hate-crime by the Chicago Police Department. Thankfully, the building was empty and no one was hurt.

My wife and I recently baptized our daughter in this church, and I thought you may like to see the pictures:

My daughter Kaylen and I

The Priest and Deacons of St. John's

Please pray for us and for the perpetrators of this crime. May God forgive them and may He lead their hearts to Him one day. And may He grant us all peace in the future.

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Peshitta.org

Print Top

Forums Topics  Previous Topic Next Topic
Stephen Silver

Send email to Stephen SilverSend private message to Stephen SilverAdd Stephen Silver to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

1. RE: My Parish.

Sep-23-2001 at 12:39 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #0

Sh'lama Akhi Paul:
Stephen Silver wrote:
I offer my deepest sympathies, for you, your family, and of course all of the members of your parish. May YHVH have mercy upon all of you, and protect you and keep you.
May those that have done this wicked act be brought to justice.

Deepest Respect,
Stephen Silver

Print Top
Dean

Send email to DeanSend private message to DeanAdd Dean to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

2. RE: My Parish.

Sep-23-2001 at 12:39 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #0

May Allaha deliver these most despicable criminals into the hands of the authorities and May the your parish rebuild an even more spectacular church soon.

We pray that Allaha protect your congregation and the faithful worldwide from further attacks.

b'shem Yeshua Meshikha,

Dean Dana

Print Top
Andrew Gabriel Roth

Send email to Andrew Gabriel RothSend private message to Andrew Gabriel RothView profile of Andrew Gabriel RothAdd Andrew Gabriel Roth to your contact list

Member: Sep-6-2000
Member Feedback

4. RE: My Parish.

Sep-23-2001 at 12:56 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #2

Shlama Akhi Khabiba w'b'haymanutha

My heart is grieved at this evil and terror, but I know Moshiack will redeem us all and save us. I pray for your continued protection and prosperity and that those who did this may be set free by the truth and do teshuvah and repent. But if NOT, then I shake my sandals off at them and pray that justice be done.

My prayers are with you, your family, and your people always.

Shlama w'burkate
Andrew Gabriel Roth

Print Top
Biga

Send email to BigaSend private message to BigaView profile of BigaAdd Biga to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

3. RE: My Parish.

Sep-23-2001 at 12:50 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #0

Dear Paul,

please get my commiseration and sorry for my impatient postings. I'm sure God will help you because you also helped us a lot with your work here.

The most dangerous thing is the ignorance. What did they think when they burned it????

with love and encouragement,
Gabor

Print Top
Keith

Send email to KeithSend private message to KeithAdd Keith to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

5. RE: My Parish.

Sep-23-2001 at 01:52 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #3

Paul,
I am disgusted with this and heartbroken for you and my fellow brothers in the Lord in Chicago. This is not just an attack on your family and church it really is an attack on the very foundation to which we all base our eternal lives. I hope this had nothing to do with the attacks of September 11, 2001. I will pray for your church and members. I am so sorry.
Keith

Print Top

Paul Younanmoderator

Send email to Paul YounanSend private message to Paul YounanView profile of Paul YounanAdd Paul Younan to your contact list

Member Feedback

6. RE: My Parish.

Sep-23-2001 at 02:35 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #5

Dear all,

Thank you so much for your caring thoughts and prayers.

This was, unfortunately, linked to the Sept. 11 attacks. The Church had been receiving various warnings since that time.

I am in tears and my heart is broken. I sit here wondering if the terrorists have succeeded in their objective to tear our nation apart, to set fear into our hearts. I am afraid of what is coming.

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Peshitta.org

Print Top
Biga

Send email to BigaSend private message to BigaView profile of BigaAdd Biga to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

7. RE: My Parish.

Sep-23-2001 at 06:04 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #6

Dear Paul,

I will pray to help for your parish tonight with my bride. When I read these terrible things I though always to the Luq 12.49 and always hoped he meant another fire.

I don't understand how this event linked to September 11. Do some people think if a Church is originated from East it can be only moslem? Inconceivable.

Print Top
LAZAR

Send email to LAZARSend private message to LAZARAdd LAZAR to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

9. RE: My Parish.

Sep-23-2001 at 10:36 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #6

Akhoony Paul

" not be afraid" said our Saviour. Close your teary eyes and have faith in Jesus Christ. Picture Him right now. After you open your eyes, I quite sure you are smiling, full of hope and strength.

SHOOKHA L'AVA OL'AVRA WAL'ROOKHA D'GODSHA.

Print Top
LAZAR

Send email to LAZARSend private message to LAZARAdd LAZAR to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

8. Your Parish - Our Parish

Sep-23-2001 at 09:30 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #0

Dear Paul
Shlama D'Maran Qabal

I was deeply saddened to read you message reagarding the arsen on St. Johns Church. there is not much to say in terms of comforting words. the one and only Christian answer is that I pray, to our Almighty God, to shine His everlasting Grace and strength through His Son Jesus Christ upon Rev Fr Klutz and the Church faithful in this time of disappointment and loss. Forgivness to the perpetraders, who have burnt the "gate of Heaven" (Gen 28:17).

I have had the gift of presenting a speech reagarding the Assyrian Church and its members in Australia, when my family and I were visitng back in 1998.

Once again God Bless and Help You

King Regards
Shamasha Genard
Sydney/ Australia.

Print Top

Paul Younanmoderator

Member Feedback

12. Video of the damage.

Sep-24-2001 at 12:40 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #8

Shlama l'Kulkhon,

Thank you all again for your kind words and prayers during this terrible time. I went to the church last night and was able to capture some footage (albeit very dark) of the damage to the church. I also have some words from Qashisha (elder) Klutz, our pastor.

Please follow this link to view the video:

http://assyria.nineveh.com/video/StJohn.html

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Peshitta.org

Print Top
discipledaniel

Send email to discipledanielSend private message to discipledanielAdd discipledaniel to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

10. RE: My Parish.

Sep-24-2001 at 08:01 AM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #0

Akhi Paul,

I also would like to give my sympathies during this tough time. I will be praying, and if there is anything that I can do to help, please let me know.

God Bless,

Dan

Print Top
Iakov

Send email to IakovSend private message to IakovAdd Iakov to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

11. RE: My Parish.

Sep-24-2001 at 10:08 AM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #0

Akhi Paul,

I am also saddened by your loss. The beauty of the decore is surpassed by the image of you with your daughter. Accept my condolences and be assured we will lift up your parish leaders and parishners in prayer.

This angers me as it is pure prejudice. Do not get me wrong I do not want vengeance however justice would be good.

Your forgiving attitude is uplifting. My wife and I join with you in agreement concerning the perpetrators as they need the Lord's mercy & justice.

Please let us here on the site know what can be done to help where we are.

Shlama w'Burkate
Iakov

Print Top

Paul Younanmoderator

Member Feedback

13. RE: My Parish.

Sep-24-2001 at 03:35 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #11

Shlama Akhi Iakov,

Thanks for your prayers. The insurance will rebuild the church, but something inside is lost when this happens - you never feel quite as safe again. To destroy someone's place of worship, whether it be a Synagogue, Mosque, Church or Temple is just about the most cruel thing one can do besides hurting someone physically. It sends chills up my spine and reminds me of the Nazis or of the Young Turks.

You know, vengeance is very alluring to our human nature. But vengeance is a cycle that won't break unless one steps out of it and offers unconditional forgiveness. That is what our Lord offers to us, and what we must in turn offer to "those who offend us."

I can tell you, as an American of Assyrian ancestry, I've never been more proud of America. The people who did this evil act are ignorant and hateful. They committed an act, while not of the same scale - but nevertheless of the same mentality as that of the terrorists who attacked our beloved nation. They are not Americans at all.

They've demonstrated through their actions that they are no better than Osama bin Laden. And that's exactly what the terrorists want to happen to us.

While others in my community may harbor hatred and division in their hearts, I would much rather continue to try and bring people together and finish my testimony to our Saviour while I'm still here on earth.

Justice may or may not come in this lifetime, and hopefully not in the next. I have already unconditionally forgiven the offenders and pray for their salvation. I had better, I'm no better than they are.

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Peshitta.org

Print Top
jmagiera

Send email to jmagieraSend private message to jmagieraAdd jmagiera to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

14. RE: My Parish.

Sep-27-2001 at 05:03 PM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #13

Dear Paul:

Please accept my sympathy and prayers for you and all the people of your parish. I did not read about the fire until yesterday and was shocked that such a thing had happened. You are right, you can rebuild the building, but something happens that only time will heal for all of your friends and loved ones. Our prayers are with you at this time.

Shlama w'Burkate,
Jan

Print Top
Larry19

Send email to Larry19Send private message to Larry19Add Larry19 to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

15. RE: My Parish.

Sep-28-2001 at 07:33 AM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #14

Shlama Akhi Paul,

Sorry about being a "late responder". Glad to hear about your tenacious resolve in maintaining Christlike character. How quick we remember that the fruits of the Spirit in Galatians 5 begin with 'love', but how slow we remember that they end with 'self-control'. "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Tim. 1:7

Shlama w'Burkate Akhi Paul,

Larry Kelsey

Print Top
djm462

Send email to djm462Send private message to djm462Add djm462 to your contact list

Member:
Member Feedback

16. RE: My Parish.

Oct-01-2001 at 11:44 AM (UTC+3 Nineveh, Assyria)

In reply to message #0

Hello Paul. My heart and prayers go out to you, your family, and your parish.

God Bless you.

Dean

Print Top

Forums Topics  Previous Topic Next Topic

Assyria \ã-'sir-é-ä\ n (1998)   1:  an ancient empire of Ashur   2:  a democratic state in Bet-Nahren, Assyria (northern Iraq, northwestern Iran, southeastern Turkey and eastern Syria.)   3:  a democratic state that fosters the social and political rights to all of its inhabitants irrespective of their religion, race, or gender   4:  a democratic state that believes in the freedom of religion, conscience, language, education and culture in faithfulness to the principles of the United Nations Charter — Atour synonym

Ethnicity, Religion, Language
» Israeli, Jewish, Hebrew
» Assyrian, Christian, Aramaic
» Saudi Arabian, Muslim, Arabic
Assyrian \ã-'sir-é-an\ adj or n (1998)   1:  descendants of the ancient empire of Ashur   2:  the Assyrians, although representing but one single nation as the direct heirs of the ancient Assyrian Empire, are now doctrinally divided, inter sese, into five principle ecclesiastically designated religious sects with their corresponding hierarchies and distinct church governments, namely, Church of the East, Chaldean, Maronite, Syriac Orthodox and Syriac Catholic.  These formal divisions had their origin in the 5th century of the Christian Era.  No one can coherently understand the Assyrians as a whole until he can distinguish that which is religion or church from that which is nation -- a matter which is particularly difficult for the people from the western world to understand; for in the East, by force of circumstances beyond their control, religion has been made, from time immemorial, virtually into a criterion of nationality.   3:  the Assyrians have been referred to as Aramaean, Aramaye, Ashuraya, Ashureen, Ashuri, Ashuroyo, Assyrio-Chaldean, Aturaya, Chaldean, Chaldo, ChaldoAssyrian, ChaldoAssyrio, Jacobite, Kaldany, Kaldu, Kasdu, Malabar, Maronite, Maronaya, Nestorian, Nestornaye, Oromoye, Suraya, Syriac, Syrian, Syriani, Suryoye, Suryoyo and Telkeffee. — Assyrianism verb

Aramaic \ar-é-'máik\ n (1998)   1:  a Semitic language which became the lingua franca of the Middle East during the ancient Assyrian empire.   2:  has been referred to as Neo-Aramaic, Neo-Syriac, Classical Syriac, Syriac, Suryoyo, Swadaya and Turoyo.

Please consider the environment when disposing of this material — read, reuse, recycle. ♻
AIM | Atour: The State of Assyria | Terms of Service