Financial: Budgeting & Savings

Disputing Inaccurate Information on a Credit Report

Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2000 at 03:56 PM CT


To dispute inaccurate information on your Experian (formerly TRW) credit report, call toll-free 1 (800) 567-5470. The Experian customer service representative will ask for your membership number, and you should reply, "This is in regard to my Consumer Review Service report." The representative will then promptly assist you. Or, if you prefer, you can write to Experian at the address below.

To dispute inaccurate information on your Trans Union or Equifax credit report, write to the bureau that supplied the information. In your letter be sure to include:

  • Your full name, first, middle and last and including any applicable suffixes (Jr., Sr., II, etc.)
  • Your complete mailing address
  • Your date of birth
  • Your Social Security number (this is necessary to access your credit report)
  • The name and account number of the creditor and item in question
  • The specific reason for your disagreement with the disputed item
  • Your signature

Mail disputes to:

Equifax Information Services
P.O. Box 740256
Atlanta, GA 30374-0241

Trans Union Corporation
P.O. Box 403
Springfield, PA 19064-0390

National Consumer Assistance Center
P.O. Box 949
Allen, TX 75013-0949

Or call these numbers for more information:

Equifax 1 (800) 378-2732
Trans Union 1 (800) 916-8800
Experian 1 (888) EXPERIAN

Notify the Creditor

CreditCheck also recommends that you write to the creditor (bank, department store or other lender) involved in any item that you dispute, detailing the error and the corrective actions you have taken.

Related Information

Financial Conference
Financial: Budgeting & Savings Archives

Do you have any related information or suggestions? Please email them.
AIM | Atour: The State of Assyria | Terms of Service